Thursday 22 March 2012

Dental sedation?

Anyone else out there have an I tense fear of the dentist chair?

Last time I tried to have work done on my teeth I had a full fledged panic attack and had to have my husband call and cancel my appointment. Seriously. It scares me more then anything else. Just the thought of it makes me feel sick.

I managed to drag myself in for a cleaning 6 months back with my husband close by as support - and they told me what I already knew. I need work done. But I've been putting it off because those 'problems' haven't bothered me in the slightest; until now that is. My back wisdom tooth has started causing me pain. It's a fully exposed tooth and there isn't a crowding issue. But it's got a cavity and I'm assuming it's growing and that's where my pain is coming from.

So I sucked it up and called the office today to figure out a solution. They've suggested removal as wisdom teeth tend to cause lots of problems as long as you have them and they are suggesting sedation for me to deal with the anxiety. It sounds very appealing! Especially considering it's 80% covered. Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this done before? It sure would be nice if I could go in, have this huge procedure done and barely remember it after.

2 comments:

  1. oh I have so many stories about the dentist.
    I wont scare you with the details, but after a lot of pain and anxiety and a root canal gone bad the dentist wrote me a prescription for adivan.
    Drugs scare me but I def. suggest that. I don't know what my dosage was when I went in for my procedure but I was pretty happy/sleepy.
    Afterwards I was prescribed T3's for the pain(which I took right before it was all over) and was just out cold!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kimberly. I was given ativan last time I had a panic attack (ive had a couple - not always relating to the dentist) and boy do those things ever work haha. I was sooo relaxed. Im going for a consult this Wednesday so I will find out exactly what drugs they have in mind for my appointment :)

    ReplyDelete