Sunday 14 April 2013

Anticipating a change?

I just don't know what's up with my son lately, but he is not sleeping well. This has been going on now for about a week. I know children go through many phases that include teething, growth spurts, mental development, etc. But I am having a difficult time understanding why my 20 month old is so out of his routine.

He only naps once a day on average for about 2 hours and usually he is very good about going straight to sleep. At night he sleeps from 7pm-7am and again, usually without issues. But this past week he has skipped several naps and fought many others. At night he is waking a lot between 1-5am, and last night he was actually up from a good three hours straight at this time. He wasn't crying or even upset, he was just wide awake in bed talking. I finally went into the room at 330am because I was awake anyways and just held him for 20 minutes. After a good snuggle and chat about all the people he loves he asked for his bed and then went straight to sleep. What gives?

The only two things I can figure is that he is either going through some major brain development right now and there is just too much information floating around his head for sleep. Or else, he is somehow sensing a change approaching in his world and is trying to make sense of it. In either circumstance I don't know if there is a whole lot we can do to help him. He is still a happy and content boy for the most part, except once the lack of sleep starts affecting him. I just feel bad because the poor child has had bags under his eyes for a week now...

So what do you think? Anyone else have their toddlers go through this before a new arrival? Or is this just a typical phase for a toddler?


1 comment:

  1. sam just went through that last month. i found myself popping back into sleep-training mode to get him through it. no fun for anyone - but it doesn't last too long ;). ps i've noticed that direct instruction is really helpful, even though i have to consciously remind myself that sam understands way more than he lets on. when i say "mama is going to tuck you in, kiss you goodnight, and then you must snuggle down, close your eyes and go to sleep" - he usually does. weird! :) -janelle

    ReplyDelete